Well here you go David. This is a short list of books currently on my book shelf, that I have read in the last year, or just stay in the rotation when I'm looking for something to read. Obviously this will bean incomplete list. I could go way to long on this subject. At one time I was reading 5 to 8 books, fiction and nonfiction alike, a week. It's my favorite past time, and greatest pleasure.
So here we go,
I love Anne Rice. She maybe my all time favorite authors. I can't go a year without reading at least one of her novels and if I have the time I'll read nothing but Rice novels for months at a time. She may not be every ones cup of tea. Through her attention to detail, character development, and imagery that takes you to the time and place in her stories is superb. Her Christian fiction is full of insight.
Here are my recommends just for her,
Vampire Chronicles (13 books)
Life of the Mayfair Witches (3 books) they actually end intertwined with the Vampire Chronicles in Blackwood Farm and Blood Canticle
Anne Rice Christian Fiction:
Christ the Lord: Road to Cana
Angel Time (The song of the Seraphim)
Of Love and Evil (The Song of the Seraphim #2)
Cry to Heaven
Feast of all Saints
Laurell K Hamilton is truly my guilty pleasure. If you don't know her work the Anita Blake Vampire Hunter is the series that I am currently entrenched in. Think Buffy the Vampire Slayer with guns and blood, lots and lots of blood. The themes can be occasionally "Cinamax after Dark". So if you read her work, I warned you.
Also the Meridith Gentry P.I. series is very good.
I've been reading Stephen King since I was 12. Don't tell my Dad. These are the books of his that often grace my night stand.
The Stand
Salem's Lot (Vampire Novel, see a theme)
The Dark Tower Saga (8 books)
Insomnia
Four Past Midnight (a collection of short stories)
The Dark Half
Thomas Harris. Lets just say forget the movies read his books,
Red Dragon
Silence of the Lambs
Hannibal
Charles Dickens will always be my favorite classic writer, along with Mark Twain. Just pick one up and read you'll see why.
Gregory Macguires' The wicked years series is a must read if you along with me thought Dorthy was a bitch.
Wicked
Son of a Witch
A Lion among Men
Jasper Ffordes' Jack Sprat Investigates/A Nursery Crimes is a hilarious and just plain fun adaptation of classic nursery rhymes.
I am currently reading these non fiction works.
The God Delusion
-Richard Dawkins
God is not Great: How Religion Poisons Everything
-Christopher Hitchens
The End of Faith: Religion, Terror, and the Future of Reason
-Sam Harris
The Holy Bible and the Book of Mormon.
Yes I know those last two seem a little odd considering what I'm reading at the same time. I'm also reading a large quantity of spell books...I'm a Pagan. A good story is still a good story.
Well that's just a small sample of the books I like to read and am currently reading. I could keep going but I need to sleep.
So kiddies have a good night, and a better day and as always,
God Bless...who ever that God maybe
Love it - reminds me of my own bookshelves!! :-D
ReplyDelete