Monday, February 21, 2011

Faith, Friend, and Relationships

Hey Kiddies I'm back. Here we go,
I seem to get into some intense discussions about the importance of Faith and the role it plays in obtaining and maintaining a long term friendship or relationship. Being honest I have been a little gun shy when it comes to this subject.
How does Faith play a role in developing long term relationship? The majority of my friends have at sometime in there life been or are still involved in one religion. But for one reason or another have become inactive or cut all ties with that religion. Being from Utah guess which religion that is? Most of whom are trying to fill that void with some form of spirituality or are trying to decide to return to the flock they have turned from.
Being one of those that has found that I haven't needed to maintain an active membership to a specific religion to find happiness in my life. That my fundamental belief that through kindness to my friends and those around me. Keeping charity and goodwill in my heart, that God or Deity still bless my everyday.
I've never determined that I could not be a friend or in a relationship with someone based on there faith. As long as there is a common passion or interest that I can be friends with just about anyone. Yet I have met people who would have nothing to do with me based on my religion or lack there of. To them I say their loss.
I've had religion made a stipulation to the terms of progressing in a relationship. Only after putting my heart, love and passion into that relationship, to have that faith used as the reason for ending the relationship. Questioning my ability to ever put my heart on the line again. Being angry at God put me in a precarious position. Despair and self loathing dominated my every thought.
Why would God prompt anyone to leave me? What had I done? Does God hate me and wish me to be unhappy?
I know silly, but could you really blame me for these thoughts. It took me a long time to come to terms with that loss.
Many a long night with only my thoughts I came to the understanding that nothing I could have done would have changed the out come of our relationship.Its demise had nothing to do with faith or God. It was trust and timing. Years later we have been able to rekindle a friendship that started back in high school. She is still a compassionate, intelligent, strong woman that I value having back in my life.
Having a common moral foundation and common passions are important to maintaining a friendship. Do I believe that you have to have the same religion to be compatible? Not necessarily. Like all things worth the effort of a long time commitment it takes hard work, understanding, love, compassion, and a flexibility towards one another to progress.

So thats all I have. Take what you need from it. Maybe it will help. Maybe you'll think what does that idiot know. As always I'm open to your thoughts and opinions.
Good night, and God bless...who ever that God maybe

No comments:

Post a Comment